Saturday, January 10, 2009

What kind of mutt was I?

When I was born, I was an unwanted mutt. But what kind?

Declared "illegitimate" at birth and rushed into an adoption agency less than 24 hours later, I was a "non-person". The nurses, at least gave me a name: Della. But later I got another name: Patricia Elizabeth. And I became a debutante in high society and went to a fancy debutante ball in a beautiful debutante dress.

But who was I?

Sherlock Holmes would have loved this: I found out I am related to my adopted family. So the unwanted mutt turned out be a legitimate part of high society!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, boy. I'm an adoptee, adopted in the '60s to a common middle class family, without any social or educational connections of note, only to find out 30 years later that I'm descended from Mayflower settlers. My mother was a "fine young lady" sent away to atone for her mistake. I wish I could claim that heritage somehow.

    ReplyDelete