Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Gavel Has Been Passed Again

The gavel has been passed again. To a leader who faces wars, financial distress and conflicts outside our borders which threaten to undermine our way of life and life on this planet itself. At home, we face a crisis of confidence that we cannot pull ourselves out of a seeming endlessly deepening hole of miseries.

But I have confidence that this slim, handsome, educated man believes in his core that working with our brains to encircle those who might now oppose us and using our assets to lift up those willing to work is the only way to emerge from the gloom we now see around us. It will not be the work of six months or four years. President Obama has set us on a path that will stretch down many years.

As the President has asked that the nation reflect on service to others, I pledge to put my hand with renewed vigor to the task that I have set myself: to inform others of my life so that they will not make my mistakes nor suffer the results of the harm that others pushed on me.
In that way, I shall bear witness to a cornerstone of this nation which is to speak the truth.

And you and I will be freer because of the witness I have just begun.

1 comment:

  1. It was wonderful to be part of a presidential inauguration that moved so many of us to tears. This is a proud day for America.

    I liked President Obama's ability to be tough and compassionate and intelligent, all in the same speech. He has a graceful intellect, one he will need every day in his role as leader of our diverse country. We have to appreciate living in a place where not only does power pass peacefully, but the members of both political parties come together to begin the process of going forward in a dignified way.

    ReplyDelete